Hermit
Archon     
Posts: 4289 Reputation: 8.50 Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person
|
 |
Flimerty-Flamerty
« on: 2009-04-04 16:13:42 » |
|
[Hermit] The neocons at the Washington Post got well and truly caught out with their pants down exposing their blatant hypocrisy by Andrew Sullivan of The Atlantic. Rather than addressing it, they edited the on-line version of the article without noting that an edit had been made and closed the comments for the article!
[Hermit] Andrew Sullivan's article commenting on the Washington Post's article which fortunately quoted the Washington Post's article, allowing comparison :
When The Washington Post Calls Waterboarding "Torture"
Source: The Atlantic
When it's done by the Khmer Rouge:
His victims -- most of whom were either disgraced members of the Khmer Rouge or their families -- were tortured with electric shocks, waterboarding or beating to extract a confession, which would implicate new victims... Among the four forms of torture he officially condoned, they said, was pouring water up victims' noses.
Note also that repeated beatings are also put in the "torture" category, another technique that the Washington Post does not describe as torture when authorized by president Bush. It's rare you see a leading newspaper reveal that it has one set of moral standards for non-Americans and another one for the people they socialize with.
Remember: we don't torture. When Bush said that he meant: when we do it, it's not torture. And the WaPo and the AP and the NYT's news divisions agree.
[Hermit] Current Version of the Washigton Post Article (altered text highlighted):
Source: Washington Post Authors: Tim Johnston Dated: 2009-04-01 Print Version: Washington Post Foreign Service, April 1, 2009; Page A10
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia, March 31 -- A prominent member of Cambodia's murderous Khmer Rouge regime publicly accepted responsibility and apologized in court Tuesday for his role in a system that killed one-fifth of the country's population more than three decades ago.
Kaing Khek Iev ran the Tuol Sleng torture center in Phnom Penh, formally known as Security Center 21, where an estimated 16,000 men, women and children were killed as part of the regime's attempt to create a perfect agrarian society.
"I am responsible for the crimes committed at S-21, especially the torture and execution," the defendant, better known by his nom de guerre Duch, told a packed court. The prosecution described how Duch's victims, most either disgraced members of the Khmer Rouge or their families, were tortured and then killed, most often with a blow to the back of the head.
From 1975 to 1979, more than 1.7 million people were killed or died of overwork, disease or starvation. Duch is being tried by a hybrid Cambodian-international court and is the first prominent member of the Khmer Rouge to be prosecuted.
Although Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot died in 1998, four of his top lieutenants are expected to be tried next year. Rights activists and prosecutors hope to expand that number.
But Hun Sen, the Cambodian prime minister and a former brigade commander under the Khmer Rouge, said Tuesday that he did not want to see any more prosecutions.
"If as many as 20 Khmer Rouge are indicted to stand trial and war returns to Cambodia, who will be responsible for that?" he asked.
|