logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-09-07 19:48:01 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Self Study: help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Self Study: help  (Read 1524 times)
Tas6
Adept

Rate Tas6

Virian Alchemist

View Profile E-Mail
Self Study: help
« on: 2009-10-21 14:00:19 »

Over the allotment of my years I have kept a journal detailing almost daily my personal thoughts, experiences and even out-right experiments that I have conducted. I am in a very unusual position with myself, I have always analyzed every detail of my life and I am coming to the conclusion that I have thrived on conflict. Even if I agree with an organization or person I find myself taking up the role of the devil's-advocate (not that it isn't fun), even when it is not advantageous. I find myself growing tired of this position. So I ask does anyone here have a word of advice on how to remove a specific meme from my life?  I need more constancy in my personal mental orientation.  I keep having resurgent feelings of pangs for my former faith of the last 20 yrs and at times it feels as if is a chronic atavistic disease ( I teasingly refer to it as Atavist Religious Resurgence).  There are days that this internal conflict takes me to extreme depths of personal confusion...

Sorry to whine,
Tas6
Report to moderator   Logged

"Funny goggles and Frankenstein, what real science should be!"
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Self Study: help
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-22 03:08:21 »

It is relatively easy.
Make a list of worthwhile things to do.
Choose things that take varying amounts of time, from seconds to a life time.
Put in lots of the short jobs so they add up to about the length of the longer jobs - or as near as you can make it.
Write the jobs out on index cards.
Mix them up well and put them in a box labelled "To Do".
Put the box next to two others. One marked "In Progress", the other marked "Done".
Whenever a meme bugs you, pick a card from the "To Do" box and begin it.
When appropriate, add it to the done or in progress box.
If it is "done" and you still have time, randomly pick an "In Progress" card and continue with it.
In a short while, your done pile should be overflowing with completed worthwhile tasks and you can shuffle them and after feeling the glow, can add them back to the "To Do" box if appropriate.
You will also have a bunch of worthwhile projects in progress keeping you really busy.
Too busy to worry about worn-out memes.
Don't talk about this.
Just do it.
The more challenging and the more worthwhile the tasks you pick the better.
If you are still being bugged by worn-out memes, you have not chosen suitably challenging projects.
If you need suggestions, contact me.
Don't forget to have fun.

Kind Regards
Hermit&Co

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-22 10:01:58 »

An excellent idea! I am going to try this for myself.

Don't talk about this.
Just do it.

Spot on!

Thank Hermit&Co

Quote from: Hermit on 2009-10-22 03:08:21   

It is relatively easy.
Put in lots of the short jobs so they add up to about the length of the longer jobs - or as near as you can make it.
Put the box next to two others. One marked "In Progress", the other marked "Done".
If it is "done" and you still have time, randomly pick an "In Progress" card and continue with it.
In a short while, your done pile should be overflowing with completed worthwhile tasks and you can shuffle them and after feeling the glow, can add them back to the "To Do" box if appropriate.
You will also have a bunch of worthwhile projects in progress keeping you really busy.
Don't talk about this.
Just do it.
If you are still being bugged by worn-out memes, you have not chosen suitably challenging projects.

Kind Regards
Hermit&Co

MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-22 20:50:24 »

I'm not much of one to tell people how to live their lives, but since you asked so nicely . . .

I'm sorta with Hermit on this one. If you want to stop being so reflexively critical (not that a certain amount of thoughtful criticism isn't a good thing) start some projects of your own. My own father likes to be critical and I don't pretend it isn't a good thing often enough, but perhaps you should build some sandcastles of your own before you try tearing down other people's sacred places yet again. Of course they may be stupid, I may be stupid, we all could be quite wrong about a lot of things, but it may help you feel happier and not so alone on the empathy scales and that's a good thing methinks. At the end of the day we are all in this reality together, no doubt. At least not from me. . . . -Mo

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Tas6
Adept

Rate Tas6

Virian Alchemist

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-23 15:10:23 »

Thank you! I will begin immediately!

Quote from: Hermit on 2009-10-22 03:08:21   

It is relatively easy.
Don't talk about this.
Just do it.

Kind Regards
Hermit&Co

Tas6
Adept

Rate Tas6

Virian Alchemist

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2009-10-25 12:41:45 »

I have selected my birthday as the date (11/5) to begin this operation. Thanks again !

MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
the arrogance of hating stupid people
« Reply #6 on: 2009-10-25 20:26:50 »

I've been thinking about some natural corrolaries to the virtues and sins, and here's one that I think I've resolved on and would recommend for the Church, and that is hating on stupid people. Although I'd never ban it as hate speech or anything like that, I've noticed that when all other kinds of hatred become un-PC this is generally the last refuge of a bigot. And it IS a very common conceit which even a normal non-bigot can find tempting to join in. By sharing hateful humor about stupid people we all implicitly seem to mutually compliment each other. The conceit goes that because both you and I share a superior point of view than other people, we get it and are therefore elite and therefore somehow not stupid people ourselves. The joke is on THEM, right? I think it would be prudent for CoV to articulate this as an offensive conceit.

I personally try to limit my hatreds to fundamentally dishonest people . . . and of course I think that's the point of our identifying hypocrisy as a sin, instead of stupidity or mere deception. In fact, whenever I encounter a typical theist audience and the frequency of their "I hate stupid people" meme/sentiment starts rising, my typical response is "Well, God must love them, because he made so many." I'm rarely shy about doing that. It almost always tends to stump 'em a bit and goes well with either a serious look or solemn smile. It also makes a fair warning prelude to sterner treatment if it doesn't succeed in changing the topic of conversation.

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Tas6
Adept

Rate Tas6

Virian Alchemist

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2009-10-26 10:25:09 »

?

Tas6
Adept

Rate Tas6

Virian Alchemist

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2009-11-23 09:59:03 »

Progress report:
After engaging Hermits suggestion, I have only had recourse  to use it once, as every time I see my boxes it kind of acts as a visual and psychological goad, keeping me memeticly straight on my own self-directed path.

Tas6

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: